EPHESUS AND AROUND
Ephesus & around
9:00 am - 5:00pm
Min.2 – Max. 16
- Amazing Ephesus
- House of the Virgin Mary
- Sirince hilltop village
- Site of the Temple of Artemis
- St John’s Basilica
- All the entrance fees to the sites
- Assistance of a local guides
- Transport (Taxi or private A/C van depending on number)
You will be met by your guide in your hotel reception. Our first stop will be the The House of the Virgin Mary. This house loated in the hills above Ephesus is reported to be the final resting plae of the Virgin Mary. Seen as a Christian pilgrimage site it has been visited by Popes, Kings and paupers alike. We will continue to Ephesus, the best preserved Greco Roman Hellenistic site. Still to this day less than 25% has been excavated. It’s highlights include the 25,000 seat ampitheatre, the marble road, the Library of Celsus, even the public lavatories and the house of ill repute.
After all this anient history we soothe ourselves in the cool climate of the surrounding hills at the old Greek village of Sirince. Involved in the population exhange between Greece and Turkey. Nowadays it’s pleasant architecture and houses are pleasing to the eye. The locals these days specialise in making tasty fruit wines, of which you will have the opportunity to taste. We’ll stop for lunch in Sirince.
From here we will drive back into the ancient past to Selcuk to visit the site of one of the Seven Ancient Woders of the World, the Temple of Artemis. Not much remains of the one largest and most beautiful temples of ancient times, in fact most of it was dismantled and shipped bak to England. Your guide can offer a vivid description of the site as if it still stood where it was built.
Our final site of the day is the St John Basilica. Built on the site of a very early Christian church, Justinian dediated a large church and basilica which is apparently built above the grave of the Apostle John the ‘Theologian’. The Basilica lies in the shadow of an imposing Seljuki fortress.
Selcuk is a great town so after the Basilica the tour ends and your guide will allow you explore independently.
Before you go
- You will have a private A/C van with you all the day but you will still need comfortable walking shoes to enjoy the sites.
- At Ephesus, you will start visiting the site from Upper Gate to Lower Gate. In between the gate there isn’t any kiosks selling water and there isn’t any toilets.
- There is no dress code on this tour
Number of People
|9 People and more||Please ask for the best price|
- Gratuities to guide and driver
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included