TREASURES OF GOLDEN HORN
9:00am - 5:00pm
Min.2 – Max. 16
- Walking thorough the Ottoman Necropolis at Eyup
- Golden Horn view from Pierre Loti Hill
- Chora Church
- Walls of Constantinople
- Suleymaniye Mosque
All the entrance fees to the sites
Assistance of a local guides
- Transport (Taxi or private A/C van depending on number)
The tour starts at 09.00 and finishes around 16:30
You will be met by your guide at your hotel at 09.00. With your guide you will head to Eyup first, this hilly suburb was named after the Prophet Mohammed’s best friend who is buried there. So, due to an age old tradition, everyone wanted to be near him to await the judgment day since the 15th century. And, because of this reason this place became a necropolis (the city of the dead) full of beautifully designed tombs and epitaphs. We will walk through these tombs before we take a cable car to Pierre Loti Hill which has a breathtaking view of Golden Horn. And was home to the eccentric French ‘Orientalist’ Pierre Loti.
After having a Turkish Coffee here we will head to Chora Church which has the best surviving examples of late Byzantine frescoes and mosaics from 14thcentury. The purpose of these mosaics and frescoes is to tell the stories from Old and New Testament and what lies beyond the earthly existence from your guide.
After having lunch here you will continue to the Golden Horn by walking through the walls of Constantinople and two old districts of Istanbul, Fener and Balat and then you will reach the Patriarchate of the Greek Orthodox Christian Church. The Patriarch is the head of the Eastern Orthodox Churches and is followed by more than 300 Million Orthodox Christians.
From here you will head to Suleymaniye Mosque. This monumental mosque is built by Architect Sinan in the 16th century to honour Suleyman the Magnificent. With its poetic view and ingenious architecture it is just like a jewel in the crown of the Golden Horn. Then we will walk to the Golden Horn through alleyways and the Egyptian or Spice Bazaar. Tour finishes here but If you wish, your guide can assist you back to your hotel.
Before you go
- We use taxi in between some of the sites for this tour but depending on size of the tour we hire a private A/C van
- Since there is a bit of walking involved you need comfortable shoes for this tour.
- There is no dress code for this tour.
- If you like we can swop Suleymaniye Mosque with 1,5 hour Bosphorus Tour.
Number of People
|9 People and more||Please ask for the best price|
- Gratuities to guide and driver
- Any items not specifically mentioned as included